Thursday, October 6, 2011

Monkeys' brain waves offer paraplegics hope

By Matt McGrath
Time Written: 6 October 2011


Summary:

To sum up this article, it talked about how monkeys can transmit electromagnetic waves from their brain to control a virtual arm. This technology could help quadriplegic patients not only regain movement but a sense of touch as well. The monkeys were able to touch and feel objects on the screen to. This is what the Prof Miguel Nicolelis from Duke University said: "It provides us with the demonstration that we can establish a bi-directional link between the brain and an artificial device without any interference from the subject's body," The researchers trained the monkeys to play a video game were they had a joystick to move the arm with and brake a box open. In each box there was a vibration. A lot of electrodes were implanted in the brains of the monkeys and connected to the computer screen. The joystick was removed and motor signals from the monkey's brains then controlled the arm. At the same time the things that they touched with the virtual hand on the computer transmits to the brain.

Reflection:

I chose this article because it was unusual to me. What grabbed my attention was the picture of the monkey. I thought to myself, why are there things coming out of his brain going to his hands? Well, I was so interested in it that I decided to read it and find out. I found it while looking at the National Geographic site and was just skimming through the articles when I came to this one that seamed interesting. I kind of connected with what we are doing in DT, we are doing brain control so I thought that it would be fun to do something that we are doing in DT.

2 comments:

  1. Good Job Alek! I think this article is pretty interesting because you added a catchy picture and your writing isn't too long and includes good detail about the topic. This is something like what we talked about in DT class! I think just add your own perspective about it too and then it will be perfect! Hope to read your next blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. HI Alek,
    Your summary is very good and I love the image you put on it. However, please make sure that you add the second paragraph...the reflection of the article. Refer to the papers I gave you in September.

    ReplyDelete