Wednesday, March 21, 2012

MYSTERY RISING WITHIN MERCURY


MYSTERY

RISING WITHIN MERCURY

Mercury is the closest planet to the sun.

The evidence, collected by a NASA spacecraft orbiting the planet, is scattered all over Mercury, including a dramatic

finding that half of the floor of the gigantic crater has been lifted. New studies show Mercury's very big iron core and it is even bigger than

expected. With a previously unknown solid layer of iron-sulfide buried beneath the mantle. Convection is probably behind the mysterious rising of Mercury's surface, which in

some areas is now tilted. Mercury's massive iron core is even more massive than previously thought, thought to

be 85 percent of the planet. Gravity maps and computer models show that the core sports an extra solid layer of iron-sulfide.




Conclusion:

I chose this article because it thought it would be interesting to learn about how the surface could get so much bigger in a shorter period of time. What grabbed my attention was the picture of Mercury in the visual effect and really just what it looked like. I thought to myself, how could that be possible? Well, I was so interested in it that I decided to read the article. I found it while looking at the Discovery News website and was just skimming through the articles when I came to this one that seamed interesting and was screaming, READ ME, READ ME, READ ME!!!!!!!!!

1 comment:

  1. This is very interesting. When I think of Merury I think of a planet that is just solid iron and not a molten mass that has similar convection currents like our mantle has. The image, I agree with you, is amazing. However, it does not really show how the floor of the crater is getting bigger.
    Good job. Make sure you are summarizing main points, but also making sure that it makes sense.

    ReplyDelete